|Nasi Gerong (Indonesian fried rice)|
Nasi Gerong does not have a specific recipe. You can add anything you like to customize the dish. It is a means of using any left over white rice, veggies and meats. This here is my version, a whole some dish all in one as a complete meal.
Ingredients: (serves 4)
2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
20 raw shrimps, peeled and de-veined
3 cups cooked rice
4 tbsp kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
2 tbsp soy sauce
3-4 tbsp sambal
1 cup finely shredded savoy cabbage
2 spring onion or 1 stalk leeks, chopped fine
1 carrot grated
2 stalks celery chopped
1/2 yellow or red pepper julienne
Handful beans chopped fine
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a wok and stir fry cabbage, carrot, beans, celery and peppers till tender crisp stage. Keep aside.
- In the same wok heat a tbsp oil in the center. Add the shrimp and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side till all the pink turns to white. Do not overcook as they get tougher. Keep aside.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in the same wok and stir-fry sambal paste for 2 minutes, till brownish and fragrant, at medium heat.
- Push spices to side of wok and pour egg in the center of the wok.
- Quickly scramble the egg for a minute. Mix egg with spices, break them into smaller pieces.
- Add rice, shredded chicken, kecap manis and soy sauce. Stir-fry everything quickly over high heat, for 6-7 minutes.
- Add spring onion and stir fried veggies and cooked shrimp. Mix well till all the flavors blend. Taste and adjust the sweetness and/or spiciness by adding more of kecap manus or sambal.
- Serve warm with condiments such as sliced tomatoes/cucumber, fried egg, crackers, etc.