|Nasi Gerong (Indonesian fried rice)|
Nasi Gerong is the Indonesian version of fried rice. The main flavor boosters in the dish are kecap manis (the sweet and syrupy soy sauce), and sambal (the chili garlic sauce). You can find both of these in any Asian grocery stores.
Nasi Gerong does not have a specific recipe. You can add anything you like to customize the dish. It is a means of using any left over white rice, veggies and meats. This here is my version, a whole some dish all in one as a complete meal.
2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
20 raw shrimps, peeled and de-veined
3 cups cooked rice
4 tbsp kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
2 tbsp soy sauce
3-4 tbsp sambal
1 cup finely shredded savoy cabbage
2 spring onion or 1 stalk leeks, chopped fine
1 carrot grated
2 stalks celery chopped
1/2 yellow or red pepper julienne
Handful beans chopped fine
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a wok and stir fry cabbage, carrot, beans, celery and peppers till tender crisp stage. Keep aside.
- In the same wok heat a tbsp oil in the center. Add the shrimp and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side till all the pink turns to white. Do not overcook as they get tougher. Keep aside.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in the same wok and stir-fry sambal paste for 2 minutes, till brownish and fragrant, at medium heat.
- Push spices to side of wok and pour egg in the center of the wok.
- Quickly scramble the egg for a minute. Mix egg with spices, break them into smaller pieces.
- Add rice, shredded chicken, kecap manis and soy sauce. Stir-fry everything quickly over high heat, for 6-7 minutes.
- Add spring onion and stir fried veggies and cooked shrimp. Mix well till all the flavors blend. Taste and adjust the sweetness and/or spiciness by adding more of kecap manus or sambal.
- Serve warm with condiments such as sliced tomatoes/cucumber, fried egg, crackers, etc.