A big stack of soft fluffy pancakes, served with berries, dusted with powdered sugar or chocolate, drizzled with sweet earthy maple syrup - a drool worthy breakfast to start an awesome weekend. Pancakes are flat cakes made from a batter of flour, eggs and milk with a leavening agent such as baking powder to make them thick and fluffy. As a variation to the basic pancake recipe, this one here is made with buttermilk and are also eggless.
These buttermilk pancakes are egg free, super soft, fluffy and taste awesome. A definite breakfast winner for kids and adults alike and for those with egg allergies. This recipe for egg free buttermilk pancakes makes about 8 pancakes. If you don't have buttermilk then make your own by combining a cup of milk with a tablespoon of lemon juice. Let stand until slightly thickened, at least 5 min. The recipe calls for separately mixing all dry ingredients together and wet ingredients together and then combining the two. It is important not to over mix the batter in order to make fluffy pancakes. Some lumps are fine, the batter should be a little lumpy.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp sugar (optional)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk plus 1 tbsp lemon juice)
1 tbsp melted butter
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Butter/vegetable oil for cooking pancakes
- In a small bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt to get the dry mixture.
- In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, butter and vanilla extract to make the wet mixture.
- Add dry mix to wet mix and whisk until just moistened. Do not over mix, a bit lumpy is fine.
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat. Add butter or oil to the skillet and spread it around the pan with a pastry brush.
- Drop a small ladle full of pancake batter into the pan.
- Cook until surface of the pancake has some bubbles, takes about 1-2 minutes. Flip carefully and cook for another minute or two till underside is golden.
- Transfer to a serving platter and serve warm with desired toppings.
For making chocolate chip eggless buttermilk pancakes:
Basic buttermilk pancake recipe
1/2 to 3/4 cup semi-sweet/bitter-sweet chocolate chips
Follow the basic recipe till step 3. Mix chocolate chips into the batter. Continue cooking as above. Serve dusted with grated chocolate and drizzled with maple syrup.
Spice it up – Stir 1/2 to 1 tsp of different spices into the flour before adding wet ingredients, to create a flavor variation. Choose from cinnamon, nutmeg, ground ginger, green cardamom powder.
Assorted topping ideas for pancakes - butter, maple syrup, dusting of confectioners' sugar, honey, jams and preserves, whipped cream, chocolate syrup and chocolate chips, berries, fresh fruit (berries), cooked fruit such as apples, peaches and pears.