Payasam or kheer is prepared as the end of meal dessert or specially during festivals as an offering to the God. This milk based pudding can be made with anything - rice, broken wheat, vermicelli, mango, rava, sago, carrot, you name it. Carrot kheer is very light and is suitable for a phalahaar fast (No grains are consumed on the day of the fast).
Ingredients: (serves 2 generously)
2 cups milk
1 cup shredded carrots
1/4 cup sugar
4 green cardamoms, crushed fine
Handful Pistachios and almonds
- Put grated carrots in a pressure cooker with 1/4 cup water and pressure cook on high till the first whistle. Simmer for 5 minutes. Keep aside.
- Meanwhile bring 2 cups of milk to boil.
- When the carrots cool a bit use a hand blender to coarsely puree the cooked carrots.
- Add the carrots to the milk and continue to cook on medium heat, stirring often. Make sure the milk doesn't burn at the bottom of the pan.
- In about 15-20 minutes the milk will thicken and form a pudding like consistency. Add the sugar (Adjust the quantity as per your taste). Mix and cook again on high this time for a few minutes constantly stirring. Stirring is important here as the heat is high and both sugar and milk can caramelize really fast.
- When sugar is fully incorporated, remove from heat and add crushed cardamoms and chopped nuts.
- Chill before serving.