Onion mint raita
Crisp whole wheat naan
|Tava fry veggies with onion mint raita and naan|
Do you get drawn to these tava fried veggies at the Indian wedding food stalls ? I love them all - karela, baigan, mirch, bhindi the whole nine yards. As a kid I remember gravitating towards the tava area where grilled veggies, kebabs and roomali roti was in the making.
Crisp whole veggies are stuffed with dry spices and cooked on a flat iron tava (griddle). This type of cooking keeps the vegetable tender crisp. At the wedding tava stall, they add a lot of oil and literally fry the veggies with onion and tomato masala. This is a modified version where I roast the vegetables stuffed with only the dry spice mix. Some harder veggies can be precooked by making them tender in the microwave or blanching them just a bit before stuffing with the dry spices. This will allow us to use less oil for cooking and also reduces the cooking time. I like to serve it with crisp naan and a cool onion mint yogurt.
I like to make my own masala for stuffing. Recipe can be found here. You can try that or buy ready to use.
|Veggies stuffed with dry masala ready to fry|
Tava fry/grilled mixed vegetables
Ingredients: (generously serves 4)
20 bhindi (okra)
10 small Indian eggplants
4-5 large green chili peppers
20 tindora (Ivy Gourd)
Tava fry masala mix (recipe here), quantity as required
salt to taste
oil for frying
- Wash and dry all the veges.
- Remove the heads of okra and slit them lengthwise.
- Slit chilies and tindora lengthwise.
- Keeping the stem intact give a crisscross slit to the eggplants taking care not to separate the segments.
- Salt the insides of all the prepped veggies and leave them on the cutting board for 20 minutes to drain. (remember tava masala has some rock salt)
- Stuff all the veggies with the dry tava masala and grill / shallow fry on a hot tava griddle with a sprinkle of oil. Cook at medium high and turn occasionally for even browning. You can also use the flat attachment of the indoor BBQ. Cook till tender crisp about 7-10 minutes.
- You can use small baby potatoes, parval, pearl onions and small karela using the same procedure. Half cook (microwave for 3-5 minutes) potatoes before salting, stuffing and frying.
- Serve with onion mint raita (vegans omit this) and toasted whole wheat naan.
|Veggies after tava cooking|
Onion mint raita (vegans omit this)
2 cups plain yogurt
1 medium red onion chopped fine
large handful each of fresh mint and coriander chopped fine
salt to taste (optional)
1/2 tsp cumin powder
Mix all ingredients and stir well to get a smooth raita. Refrigerate for half hour before serving to let flavors blend.