Ingredients (generously serves 4):
3 tablespoons canola oil
2 cups long grain basmati rice washed and drained
250 gms cubed paneer (Indian cottage cheese-omit for vegan version)
2 cups vegetables (peas, green beans, potato, carrots)chopped
4 cups water
salt to taste
Few strands of saffron soaked in 1 teaspoon of hot water (for 2-3 mins)
1 large red onion chopped fine
1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
Dry whole spices: coarsely ground:
½ teaspoon each of whole dry cumin and coriander,
5 whole cloves
1 long stick cinnamon
4 green cardamoms and 2 black cardamoms
2 pieces mace
Few black peppercorns
Dry ground spices:
½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
1 teaspoon Coriander powder
Red chilli powder (for desired heat level)
¾ teaspoon amchur (dry mango powder)
1 teaspoon dry mint
- In a large pan heat oil and lightly fry cubed paneer till golden brown. Keep aside.
- In the remaining oil add all the dry spices and let them spatter for 30 seconds.
- Add onion ginger and garlic and fry till it turns golden brown. Add rice and fry lightly for 1 minute.
- Add all the vegetables along with the ground spices and salt and fry for 2-5 minutes till everything is well infused with all the spices.
- Add water and saffron and give a stir to mix well.
- Cover and monitor till it comes to a rolling boil. Then simmer covered for 10 minutes till rice is almost done.
- Add the fried paneer and mix. take the pan off heat and cover, let stand for 2-5 minutes.
- Serve with Raita. For raita recipe click http://www.fabfriday.com/2015/11/kachumber-raita.html