Ivory White Lentils are split and skinned Black Lentils. These creamy white tiny seeds have a mild, earthy flavor. They are low in fat and high in protein and fiber. There is no need to soak them as they cook quite quickly. Use them in soups, stews, stir-fry, spreads and dips.
Combined with green onions this stir fry has a mild oniony nutty flavor and taste wonderful in wraps.
Skinned black gram and green onion stir fry (धुली उरद और हरा प्याज़)
|Skinned black gram/Ivory white lentil (Source)|
1 cup skinned black gram (urad dal)
11/2 cups water
1 tsp oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 inch fresh ginger, julienne
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/3 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp red chili powder
Salt to taste
Fresh coriander to serve
2 tsp ghee (clarified butter)
Pinch hing (asefoetida)
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
2 dry whole red chilies
- Wash and drain the dal (pulse). Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add garlic, ginger and tomato paste. Mix to combine, taking care not to burn it. Add the urad dal. Saute for a few seconds.
- Add 11/2 cups of water and all the spices. Mix to combine and bring to a boil. Simmer and cover for 7-8 minutes. Stir a couple of times in between to ensure that it is cooking evenly. You will see the water reducing and the dish getting dry.
- Check after 8 minutes for doneness. The grain of dal should be about 3/4 cooked. At this stage add the green onion and stir to combine. Cover again and keep the heat to simmer. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and temper.
- Heat the ghee in a separate pan till it melts, add cumin seeds, hing and whole red chilies. Roast till cumin seeds are brown and toasted. Pour this mixture over the cooked dal.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with roti.