SALADS FOR LUNCH/SIDE DISH
Delicious, colorful and packed with tropical goodness this salad can be served both as a side dish and a lunch dish. As a lunch dish, serve as is or add chopped ham and shredded cheese for added protein. The blend of sweet, tart and savory is complemented by the addition of old fashioned grainy mustard and mint gives it the summer time tropical freshness. Aloha....
1/2 head iceberg lettuce
1 large English cucumber
1 pint grape tomatoes
2 large carrots
1/2 red onion
large handful each of fresh mint and parsley finely chopped.
2 tbsp olive oil
2-3 tbsp old fashioned mustard
1-2 tbsp honey (use Maple syrup or Agave nectar as a Vegan substitute)
2-3 tbsp lime juice
1/4 tsp salt (optional)
- Peel and core the pineapple and cut into bite size pieces.
- Half grape tomatoes, cut carrots into thin sticks, chop cucumber and onion into bite sized pieces, shred lettuce.
- Mix all ingredients for dressing in a separate bowl. Adjust according to your taste the sweetness (honey), tartness(lime juice) or saltiness of the dressing.
- Mix all the fruits and vegetables in a large bowl and add dressing and herbs. Toss to incorporate the dressing evenly. Let the salad stand for an hour before serving to allow the flavors to develop.
- Serve as is for a delectable summertime lunch or alongside any BBQ entrée as a side dish.