Fools are the simplest of desserts. They are just ripe pureed fruit folded in whipped cream and then layered with cut fruit and or chopped nuts. Here is one delicious and delightfully simple recipe - Mango fool. In season you must choose the ripest mangoes for making this. Another option is to use canned mango puree. Just be aware that the canned products are very sweet so adjust your sugar accordingly. Take equal quantities of mango puree and double cream for a creamy outcome. To make it less calorie dense use half the quantity of cream and substitute other half with Greek yogurt. Tastes just as good.
Ingredients: (Serves 10-15)
6 ripe mangoes
500 ml Double cream
Powdered Sugar to taste
Strawberries for layering and garnish
- Peel and chop 2 mangoes to small bite sized pieces and keep aside. Slice the berries and keep aside.
- Peel 4 mangoes and slice the flesh away from the stone. Process in a food processor till smooth with no lumps. This should make about 2 cups of mango puree. If the mangoes are too sweet then add juice of 1/2 a lime here.
- Take equal quantity of double cream (2 cups) in a mixing bowl placed over ice. Add sugar and beat gently till it thickens.
- Fold in the mango puree into the whipped cream until well combined. Cover and refrigerate for half hour to let the flavors blend in.
- Two ways to serve - see below.