This beautiful and delicious salsa is a crowd pleasing dish. Smoky cumin and tangy lime juice adds robust flavor to this simple yet nutritious salad. Filled with the goodness of black beans, corn and veggies it can be served with chips as a starter or as is for a light lunch or serve over rice or inside a tortilla. Be sure to let the salsa sit for 15-20 minutes before serving to let all the flavors blend in.
I usually make corn and black bean salsa during summer for BBQ parties. You can whip up a big batch in minutes. I use fresh corn on the cob, grill them and then shear off the corn kernels with a sharp knife from the husk. Adds a wonderful smoky flavor.
Ingredients: (serves 4-6)
1 can black beans
1 cup frozen corn
1 red pepper
1 large tomato
1/2 large red onion
Few sprigs fresh coriander
1 jalapeno pepper
1 tsp roasted and ground cumin
1 Lime, juice and zest
Salt to taste
1 tsp oil
- Rinse and drain the black beans. Finely dice pepper, tomato, onion, jalapeno and coriander. Mix all in a big bowl.
- Heat a tsp oil in a pan. Saute the frozen corn for a few minutes till slightly charred and heated through.
- Add the corn to the bean mix. Season with cumin, salt and lime juice and zest. Add more lime juice as desired.
- Let the salsa sit for 20 minutes before serving.
- Serve with corn chips as a starter
- Serve wrapped up inside a warm tortilla with cheese as a wrap.
- Serve over steamed lime cilantro rice with cheese, salsa verde and guacamole as a burrito bowl.