For plain tomato sauce (makes 9 cups)
2 tbsp olive oil
4 large red onions chopped
4-5 cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp red chili flakes
12 large tomatoes chopped fine
1 can tomato puree
1 can tomato paste
2 tsp sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
3-4 bay leaves
2 tsp each basil and oregano
1 tsp hot sauce
- To make tomato sauce heat olive oil in a large stock pot and add onion and garlic and bay leaves. Saute for 2 minutes till onions soften a bit.
- Add red chili flakes and the dry herbs. Saute for 20 seconds.
- Add all other ingredients and bring to a rolling boil for about 3-5 minutes.
- Simmer covered for about 30 minutes stirring every so often.
For meat sauce (makes 9 cups)
In addition to above ingredients
2 lbs ground chicken or lamb
- Add ground chicken/lamb after step 2.
- Cook on high stirring often for about 2-4 minutes till chicken/lamb cooks a bit.
- Continue with the basic sauce process from step 3.
For vegetable tomato sauce (makes 12 cups)
In addition to ingredients for basic tomato sauce
5-6 cups chopped vegetables(carrots, green peppers, celery, zucchini, mushrooms)
2. Cook on high stirring often for about 2-4 minutes to sweat them a bit.
3. Continue with the basic sauce process from step 3.
Dishes you can make using the tomato sauce
|Chicken, mushroom, spinach Lasagna|
|Three cheese Lasagna|
|Portobella mushroom Pizza|
|Spaghetti with meatballs|
|Feta Olive pizza|