|Italian Wedding Soup with spinach and barley|
Ingredients: (serves 6)
For the chicken meatballs
1 lb lean ground chicken
2 tbsp bread crumbs
1 tsp minced garlic
1 egg lightly beaten
handful fresh coriander chopped fine
salt and pepper to taste
1-2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese(optional)
For the soup
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large red onion chopped fine
2 cloves of garlic chopped fine
1 large carrot diced
2 celery stalks chopped
8-10 cups chicken stock
3/4 cup pearl barley
10 ounces fresh spinach washed and roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Mix all the ingredients for the meatballs and drop one inch meatballs onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes till cooked thru and slightly browned.
- While the meatballs are cooking heat oil in a large stock pot and saute onion, garlic, carrots and celery for 5 minutes till soft.
- Add the stock and bring to boil. Add barley and simmer for 15-20 minutes. The barley is just about done at this point. If you are using pasta, cook according to package directions. You might need less stock with pasta as cooking time will be almost half.
- Add spinach and meatballs and cook on high for 5-6 minutes till spinach wilts and meatballs take on the flavor.
- Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with grated Parmesan and serve with fresh rolls.