Mac N Cheese
Wine Pairing: Chianti Classico, Pinot Noir
|The real macNcheese|
Macaroni and Cheese
Ingredients: (serves 6-8)
3 ½ C macaroni pasta
4 ½ C cheese (3 C sharp white cheddar and rest could be Gruyère and/or parmigiana )
5 ½ C whole milk
½ C all purpose flour
8 tbsp (1stick) unsalted butter
4 slices white bread
salt to taste
cracked black pepper
nutmeg powder to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and prepare a large casserole dish by spraying with oil. Keep aside. De-crust the bread and tear them into small pieces.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter pour it on the bread crumbs, toss and keep aside.
- Warm the milk and keep aside.
- Keep a large pot of salted water to boil for the paste while you make the cheese sauce.
- In a pan melt the remaining 6 tbsp butter, add the flour and cook, stirring for one minute. Slowly pour in the hot milk a little at a time, while whisking, to keep mixture smooth. Continue cooking at medium low heat whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in salt, pepper and nutmeg, all but 1/2 cup cheese. Keep aside.
- Add the macaroni pasta to boiling water and cook for only 2-3 minutes, inside should be underdone. Rinse in cold water and drain well.
- Stir the macaroni into the reserved cheese sauce. Pour the mixture in the prepared casserole. Sprinkle the remaining cheese and buttered breadcrumbs on top.
- Bake for about 30 minutes till golden brown. Serve hot with a garden salad.