Brown rice penne pasta with
Spinach ricotta sauce
Wine Pairing: Chianti, Sauvignon Blanc
|Brown rice penne with spinach and ricotta cheese|
Ingredients: (serves 4-5)1 lb. fresh spinach, trimmed, washed, and dried well
1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tbs. unsalted butter
4 cloves garlic
Freshly ground black pepper
1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
1 cup milk (can use light cream )
Pinch nutmeg (optional but recommended as it adds tonnes of flavour)
salt and black pepper to taste
1 lb. dried penne or fusilli pasta (I used brown rice penne)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
toasted pine nuts or almonds
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Shred the spinach in thin long strips. You should have about 8 packed cups of shredded spinach.
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for about a minute. Stir in the spinach into the pan. Cover and steam the spinach until it's wilted but still bright green, stirring as needed to cook the spinach evenly , about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, stir together the ricotta, milk, and nutmeg, until smooth. Add this into the spinach and season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cook the pasta as per package directions, stirring occasionally, until al dente.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking liquid.
- Drain the pasta well and return it to its pot over low heat. Add the spinach mixture and enough of the reserved cooking liquid to make a sauce that lightly coats the pasta. Toss thoroughly.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the grated cheese. Transfer the pasta to a warm serving platter or individual bowls, sprinkle with toasted pine nuts and serve.