This vegan recipe is oh so simple and quite healthy. You really don't miss anything in this. Make sure to add all four types of nuts as they all contribute greatly to the flavor. Sesame seeds give it that hmmm.. touch. Some people make this recipe by putting all the ingredients in a food processor and making a smooth textured mixture. I like the chunky texture of dates and nuts and so I avoid using the processor. Chopping and cooking the dates in a small amount of water makes it easier to shape the log and incorporate the nuts. Try either way and find your favorite method to make them.
These rolls look fabulous and taste even better. A must try.
|Mixed dates and nuts into a log|
1 1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
1/4 cup Walnuts
1/4 cup Almonds
1/4 cup Pistachios
1/4 cup Cashew Nuts
2 tbsp sesame seeds
1-2 tsp water
- Chop nuts into small pieces and dry roast them for 1-2 minutes on medium heat.
- Dry roast the sesame seeds for half a minute and keep them aside.
- Heat a nonstick pan and add water and chopped dates. Stir fry the dates crushing them with a wooden spoon on medium heat for 5-7 minutes. Do this till they become soft and pulpy.
- Take away from heat and add the nuts and mix them well.
- Remove this into a plate and allow the mixture to cool a bit (so you can manipulate it with your hands). Rub a little water in your palms and make a cylindrical shape out of the mix.
- Spread the sesame seeds on a flat surface and roll it in this. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour. Cut into round slices.
- Keeps well for several days in the fridge.