Suji halwa with a fragrant twist. Adding strawberries to the traditional suji halwa seems kind of strange but when I made this, the result was pleasantly fruity with a beautiful pink hue.
Use the same ratio of ingredients as in suji halwa, 1:1:1:3= suji:ghee:sugar:water. Just substitute 1 portion of water with 1 portion of fresh strawberry puree. To ensure a lovely pink color, roast suji at a low heat so it does not brown. Add strawberry puree at the end to maintain the color.
1 cup suji
1 cup ghee (I use 3/4 cup)
2 cups water
1 cup sugar (I use 3/4 cup)
1 cup pureed strawberries
1/3 cup roasted nuts (cashews and almonds)
- Heat 2 cups of water along with the sugar till the sugar dissolves. Keep aside.
- Puree the strawberries and keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan,add suji and roast on a low flame till you smell a roasted aroma. Make sure it does not change color or the resulting halwa will not be as pink. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Add the sugar dissolved water and stir vigorously for a minute to prevent any lumps.
- Now add 1 cup of pureed strawberry and mix continuously till the halwa leaves the sides of the pan.
- Add roasted cashews and almonds and stir. Serve warm.
Recipe from a group I follow on facebook called 'Ghar ka khana' with a few changes.