This recipe comes from Mairlyn Smith's "The vegetarians complete quinoa cookbook". I have altered the recipe a bit to suit our taste. This delicious quick bread makes for a healthy breakfast or a hearty accompaniment with soup. Recipe calls for several ingredients, but is super easy to make. Give it a try.
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup quinoa flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup buttermilk (see note below)
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 cup zucchini, peel on, coarsely grated
3/4 cup cooked quinoa (see note below)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9 X 5 inch loaf pan and keep aside.
- In a large bowl combine the first 6 dry ingredients.
- In another bowl whisk together egg, buttermilk, applesauce and sugar. Fold in zucchini, cooked quinoa and walnuts.
- Pour the zucchini mixture into the dry mixture and stir well until combined.
- Put this batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake in the oven for 45 - 50 minutes till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes before removing the loaf from the pan. Cool it completely before slicing.
- If you don't have buttermilk use 1/4 cup milk mixed with 1 tsp vinegar.
- To get 3/4 cup cooked quinoa, combine 1/4 cup quinoa in 1/2 cup water. Bring to boil, simmer and cover for 15 minutes till grains are translucent and all liquid has been absorbed.