Mint chicken curry has a very refreshing flavor. Its a bit different from the traditional curries as there is no tomato and not too many spices. The addition of fresh mint and coriander add the summer freshness and the hint of lemon juice complements these herbs. Its a must try for curry lovers. Serve with roti or rice and thinly sliced onion rings.
2 lbs Skinless boneless Chicken thighs (cut into small pieces)
2 tbsp oil
1 large Red Onion finely chopped
2 tsp Ginger-Garlic paste
salt to taste
Red chili powder to taste
1/2 cup plain yogurt
Chili Powder and salt to taste
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 cup fresh Mint leaves chopped
1 cup Coriander leaves chopped
4 Green Chilies
5 green cardamom
1 One inch cinnamon
1/2 tsp each cumin and coriander seeds
- Marinate the Chicken with all the ingredients in the marinade for 3-4 hours.
- Meanwhile grind together mint, coriander and green chilly into a smooth paste and keep aside.
- Take all the whole spices and roast them slightly in a hot skillet till fragrant. Cool and grind coarsely.
- Heat oil in a pan and saute the crushed whole spices until fragrant about 30 seconds.
- Add chopped onion and saute till translucent. Add ginger- garlic paste and continue to saute for another 30 seconds.
- Add the marinated chicken and mix till all the spices coat the chicken well.
- Reduce heat and cook it on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the ground paste and let it finish cooking. If it dries up too much add a little water to get the desired consistency.
- When the chicken is cooked, add a teaspoon of lemon juice, mix and serve hot with roti or naan and thinly sliced red onions.