This is a very simple lunch idea but is a complete meal on its own. Serve with plain yogurt for a refreshing and wholesome combo.
Ingredients: (serves 2-3)
1 cup rice washed and drained
1/2 cup chana dal soaked for 2 hours, drained
1 bunch fresh spinach washed and roughly chopped
2-3 cloves garlic
1 inch ginger
1 tbsp oil
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp mixed whole spices coarsely pounded (cloves, cinnamon, green and black cardamom, black pepper corns)
salt and red chili powder to taste
1 tsp coriander powder
2 carrots grated
- Put spinach in a microwave safe bowl and cook for 3-4 minutes to soften it.
- Grind together cooked spinach, ginger and garlic with a little water to form a smooth paste.
- In a large pan heat oil and add cumin seeds and mixed whole spices. Cook for 3-5 seconds. Add rice and chana dal and mix to incorporate the spices.
- To the spinach paste add water to make 3 cups. Add this to the rice, add the rest of the spices and stir well.
- Bring to boil, cover and simmer for 7-10 minutes till rice is cooked through.
- Serve topped with grated carrots.