1 cup toor (arhar) dal washed and drained
1 bunch spinach washed and chopped fine
1 bunch methi washed and chopped fine
Handful fresh dill washed and chopped fine (optional)
1 inch ginger julienne
2 cloves garlic grated
1-2 green chilies chopped fine
2 large tomatoes pureed
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander powder
Salt to taste
Cayenne pepper to taste
4 cups water
- In a pressure cooker combine all ingredients and stir well.
- Pressure cook till the first whistle.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 4-5 minutes. Do not overcook, there is nothing worse than an overcooked dal.
- Remove from heat and let pressure release on its own (about 10 minutes).
- Remove the lid and mix well. At this point you can adjust to the desired consistency by adding boiling water if too thick.
- In a small pan heat ghee for tadka till hot. (See below for the baghaar stuff). Add the hing followed by cumin seeds. Let them fry for 5 seconds before adding ajwain seeds. Cook for a further 5 seconds and remove from heat. Add red chili powder. Immediately put the contents over the cooked dal and stir. Be careful not to overcook the red chili here as it will burn and discolor.
- Serve with roti or rice.
2 tsp ghee (vegans substitute with olive oil)
2 pinches hing (asafoetida)
1/3 tsp cumin seeds
1/3 tsp ajwain seeds
1/4 tsp red chili powder(I used Kashmiri chili powder)