Ingredients: (makes about 12)
For the potato filling
4 large potatoes boiled
Handful fresh coriander, chopped
2-3 green chilies
1 inch ginger grated
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp amchoor (mango powder)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
2 tbsp oil
Pinch asafoetida (hing)
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
3-4 cloves of garlic, grated fine
1 small red onion, chopped
few curry leaves
For the batter
1 cup besan (chickpea flour)
pinch baking soda (optional)
Pinch turmeric powder
Salt and red pepper to taste
Oil for deep frying
- Mash the boiled potatoes roughly. Add green chilies, ginger, salt, pepper, turmeric and amchoor. Make sure the salt is on the lower side since the batter will be salted too.
- In a pan on medium, heat oil and add hing and mustard seeds. let them crackle for a few seconds before adding curry leaves, garlic and onion.
- Cook stirring often till onions turn translucent. Add the potato mixture and mix well to distribute the onion and flavored oil evenly. Cook for 3-5 minutes. Take out of the heat and mash them well. Add the coriander and mix well. Cool.
- When cool enough to handle, divide the mixture into 10-12 portions and shape into 2-3 inch round balls. Keep aside ready to batter.
- Heat the oil for frying in a deep pan while you prepare the besan batter.
- Mix all ingredients for the batter together and add water to form a smooth thick (pancake like consistency) batter. Make sure the batter is lump free and remember that the potato already has salt, so season the batter accordingly.
- Oil should not be smoking, and should be about 350 F, medium high. Check the oil temperature by putting a few drops of batter in it. If they start to sizzle and float to the surface, then the oil is ready for frying.
- Coat the potato balls evenly and generously with the thick batter and gently slide into the oil. They should completely immerse in oil. Fry on medium heat till golden and crisp on all sides.
- Remove with a slotted spoon on a paper towel lined plate to eliminate any excess oil.
- Serve hot with mint chutney and chili garlic chutney.