- Rich in potassium, that is crucial for a normal heart, kidney and muscular function.
- Rich in soluble dietary fiber and pigment anti-oxidants.
- Rich in calcium - that helps to promote bone density
- Tryptophan, present in figs, induces good sleep and helps get rid of sleeping disorders like insomnia.
11/2 cups chopped dry figs (about 200 gm)
1/3 - 1/2 cup sugar (as per desired sweetness)
1 inch ginger, grated
1/3 tsp roasted cumin powder
1/3 tsp salt
1/3 tsp red chili powder
6 tbsp lime juice
1/2 cup hot water
- Put all the ingredients in a pan and bring to boil.
- Simmer and cook on medium, stirring continuously, till the fig pieces soften up and the chutney becomes syrupy and a little thick.
- Do not overcook as it thickens considerably as it cools down.
- Spread on toasted baguette slices/crostini
- As an accompaniment with any grilled or BBQ dish
- Serve over slices of fruit and cheese
- Serve over cheese and crackers
- Use as a sandwich spread