A simple, scrumptious party pleaser that is warm creamy and delicious. Filled with the goodness of fresh leaf spinach, artichoke hearts and cheese, this hot spinach and artichoke dip is a perfect appetizer for those super bowl parties, Thanksgiving table and New year potlucks. Dunk into this warm dip with tortilla chips, crackers, baguette slices, pita chips or an assortment of veggies.
I always use fresh spinach for this recipe and I prefer to use bagged spinach as it is pre-washed and ready to go. Frozen will work just as well. Make sure to thaw it and squeeze out all the liquid before cooking. Also you can use any cheese combination that you like Parmesan, Romano, mozzarella, feta. Each will give a unique flavor to the dish.
1 tsp oil
1 small onion, chopped fine
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bag fresh spinach (about 300 gm)
1 can artichoke hearts, drained and roughly chopped
1/3 cup milk (whole)
6 T cream cheese
1/2 cup aged cheddar cheese, grated and divided into 2
1/4 cup pepper jack cheese, grated
Salt if needed
Tortilla chips, crackers, baguette slices or raw veggies for dipping
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Roughly chop the spinach and keep aside.
- Heat oil in pan and saute onion and garlic till soft and pink, about 3-5 minutes. Add spinach and cook on high till it wilts and most of the liquid has evaporated. Now add chopped artichokes and stir till heated through. Transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- In the same pan whisk together milk and cream cheese. Warm the mixture but do not boil. Cook till you get a smooth concoction. Now add the spinach mixture in this along with grated pepper jack and half the cheddar cheese.
- Throw in the basil and season with black pepper and cayenne pepper. Taste to see if you need any salt and adjust as per your taste.
- If the mixture looks too thick then add some more warm milk to adjust the consistency.
- Pour the mixture in a greased baking dish and top with the rest of the cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 425 F for 20 minutes till lightly browned and bubbly.
- Serve with tortilla chips, crackers, baguette slices, pita chips or an assortment of veggies.