SALADS FOR LUNCH/SIDE DISH
Quinoa can be substituted for any rice recipe but it works specially well in salads. Mix it with almost anything and you have yourselves a delicious, nutritious meal.
This recipe here has a great blend of flavours with mint and lime juice. The sweet and tart cranberries add the perfect punch and colour.
Ingredients: (serves 4-6)
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
1/2 tsp each cumin and coriander powder plus salt to taste
1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
1 small English cucumber chopped
2 large carrots grated
1/2 small red onion chopped
1 red bell pepper chopped
handful dried cranberries (optional)
1/2 cup each fresh mint and coriander finely chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
2-3 tbsp fresh lemon or lime juice
- Wash quinoa for 2 minutes in a strainer. this is necessary to remove a soapy residue on the seeds.
- Add to quinoa 2 cups of water with cumin, coriander and salt and bring to boil.
- Simmer and cook covered for 12- 15 minutes till the seeds absorb all the liquid. Fluff with a fork. Keep aside to cool.
- Combine cooked quinoa, beans and vegetables in a serving bowl.
- Flavour with lemon juice and olive oil.
- Cover for 15 minutes before serving to allow the flavours to blend together.
Recipe adapted from 'Loonyspoon Sisters'