SALADS FOR LUNCH/SIDE DISH
|Green Mango salad |
|Add roasted peanuts before serving|
4 large green mangoes
1/4 red pepper
1/2 red onion
handful each fresh coriander and mint
1 tbsp fish sauce (or salt for a vegetarian/vegan option)
3 tbsp sugar
1-2 tbsp peanut oil/sesame oil
2-3 tbsp roasted unsalted peanuts
- Peel the mangoes with a peeler. Taking one mango at a time in your palm, carefully score deep gashes across the entire surface with a sharp knife. Now slice a thin layer off the top and continue till you reach the pit. You will see thin shreds falling in your salad bowl.
- Cut red pepper into thin strips and thinly slice the green onion.
- Now mix everything together in a large bowl except the peanuts.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Can be kept at room temperature for about an hour before serving or refrigerate for up to 5 hours.
- Just before serving give the salad a final toss with coarsely chopped peanuts.
Recipe adapted from 'Simply Thai Cooking' by Wandee Young & Byron Ayanoglu