Ingredients: (serves 4)
For the Black Beans:
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 red onion chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 tsp chili flakes
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp olive oil
Heat olive oil in a pan and add onion and garlic. Saute for 1-2 minutes till onions tern pink and add the tomato paste and drained beans. Season with cumin powder and chili flakes and mix well to incorporate the tomato. Set aside.
For the Fajita peppers and onions:
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1/4 red onion
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
cracked black pepper
- Cut the peppers and onion in long strips.
- In a pan over medium heat, add olive oil. Once hot add oregano. Saute for 2 seconds and add all the veggies. Toss on high heat till they char a little. Season with pepper and salt(optional). Set aside.
- Alternately you can marinate the peppers and onion in olive oil, oregano and pepper and then grill them.
For the Chicken:
2 chicken breasts
Salt to taste
2 tbsp olive oil
2 1/2 tsp paprika
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp dried leaf oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
- Season the chicken breasts with salt.
- Mix all the other spices and olive oil and coat the seasoned chicken breast generously with the spice mix.
- Grill the marinated chicken on a moderately hot grill till crisp and brown on the outside and fully cooked to the inside.
- Remove from grill. Let rest for 5 minutes. Slice at a diagonal.
For pico de gallo:
1 large diced tomato
1/2 diced medium sized red onion
1/4 bunch of cilantro (use more or less depending on your taste)
juice of half a lemon
1/2 teaspoon of minced garlic
1 tsp of salt
1 jalapenos (or more if you prefer it hotter)
Mix up all ingredients and keep at room temperature for half an hour to let flavors blend in.
4 tbsp Sour Cream (I used hung yogurt)
1 cup shredded cheese of your choice
Finely chopped Jalapeno pepper
Hot habanero sauce (optional)
Shredded iceberg lettuce
To Assemble you will need 8 medium sized tortillas:
- Warm the tortilla in the microwave. Top with a scoop of beans, fajita peppers, chicken, cheese, sour cream, and pico de gallo. Use habanero sauce as per your spice quotient.
- Use all or some of the other toppings to make this your own. Many combinations are possible and each family member can get a customized meal.
- You can use any type of tortilla for this - plain, whole wheat or corn.