Famous Mumbai street food, Keema Pav (literally meaning mince with bread) is kind of like sloppy joes with a Indian flavor.If you like Pav Bhaji then this is the non vegetarian version for you. Spicy, tangy and lip smacking good. Add some slivered onions, drizzle of lime juice and a dollop of butter and you will be in heaven.
Ingredients: (serves 4)
1 lb mince chicken or lamb
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium red onion chopped fine
3-4 cloves garlic minced
1 tsp grated ginger
2 large tomatoes pureed
2 tbsp plain yogurt
1/2 tsp amchoor (mango powder)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
Dry whole spices (ground coarsely)
1/4 tsp each cumin, fennel and coriander seeds, peppercorns
1 half inch stick cinnamon
2 green cardamoms
1 dry red chili (optional)
8 whole wheat kaiser buns
Red onion rings
- Heat oil at medium heat in a pan and add the coarsely ground spice mix. Saute for 30 seconds and then add onions and garlic.
- Cook onions till lightly brown and then add pureed tomato and grated ginger.
- Cook on high till oil separates in the side of the pan. Add yogurt and cook for 2 minutes.
- Now add the mince and amchoor, turmeric and salt. Cook stirring constantly till the mince is no longer pink. Add 1/4 - 1/2 cup water, bring to boil and and simmer till mince is cooked through.
- Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.
- Serve with pav or kaiser buns crisp fried in butter along with onion, lime and green chilies.