|Mushroom risotto with peas|
This Italian rice dish cooked slowly in broth to a creamy consistency is a perfect complement to any grilled meat and chicken. Its no secret that a good risotto requires your undivided attention for about 20 minutes but its completely worth it. Make sure to serve it immediately. You can use any type of broth and adding wine is completely optional. Parmesan cheese adds a fair bit of salt, so keep that in mind while seasoning it.
Mushroom Risotto with Peas
Ingredients: serves 6
8 cups chicken/vegetable broth
2 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup finely chopped onions
10 ounces white mushrooms, finely chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice or short-grain white rice
2/3 cup dry white wine (optional)
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
1/2 - 2/3 cup grated Parmesan
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a heavy saucepan bring the chicken broth to a simmer. Keep the broth warm over very low heat.
- Meanwhile melt the butter in a large pan and add olive oil. Keep heat at medium.
- Add onions and saute till soft about 5-7 minutes.
- Now add the garlic and mushrooms and let cook undisturbed for 3-4 minutes. Saute till mushrooms are tender and all juices evaporate, another 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir to toast for a few minutes to toast and coat the grains with butter.
- If using add the wine and cook stirring till all liquid is absorbed. This will take 2-3 minutes.
- Now reduce heat to medium low and add a cup of hot broth. Cook until the liquid is absorbed, stirring often, about 2-3 minutes.
- Continue to add a cupful of broth in this manner till rice is just tender and mixture gets creamy. This will take about 15-20 minutes and during this time the rice will absorb 6-8 cups of liquid.
- Stir in the peas and cheese and season with salt and pepper. Serve hot and enjoy.