|Besan ki burfi|
Besan ki burfi - the immensely popular sweet treat of India, is made with roasted chickpea flour, sugar and clarified butter. This fudge like sweet bite has a melt in your mouth texture and has exotic flavors of cardamom, pistachio and almond. Perfect for any festival and occasion. I prefer to use the coarsely ground besan for this, but you can use the fine ground besan as well. The main trick here is to patiently roast the flour in ghee at medium heat till it turns golden and fragrant. Requires constant stirring otherwise besan will cook unevenly.
This is my mithai for Diwali this year. Happy Diwali everyone.
2 cups Gram flour (besan) coarsely ground
1 cup ghee melted
1 cup powdered sugar (or very fine sugar)
5-6 Green cardamoms powdered
10-12 almonds sliced
Chopped pistachios for garnish (optional)
- Heat ghee in a non-stick pan. Add gram flour to the pan and sauté on medium heat, stirring constantly, till fragrant and browned. This took me about 30-35 minutes on medium heat.
- Switch off the heat. Add sugar and stir well till it blends with the gram flour mixture. Add green cardamom powder and mix well.
- Grease an aluminium tray. Transfer the mixture into the greased tray and spread evenly. Level the surface. Sprinkle almonds and set aside to cool. It will take a while but the mixture will set eventually (2-3 hours).
- Carefully cut into squares or diamonds and serve.
- Store in an airtight container for a week.