|Malpua or singhal (सिंघल) - Specially for Diwali|
Ingredients: (about 40 malpuas)
2 1/4 cup suji (semolina)
1/3 cup ghee (clarified butter)
1/2 cup yogurt
1 cup milk
1 cup sugar
oil for deep frying
- Take suji in a large bowl and add ghee. Mix well with finger tips.
- Add yogurt and milk and mix to get a batter of droppable consistency.(see image below)
- Now add sugar and mix thoroughly. Cover and leave aside for an hour at room temperature.
- Heat oil in a deep pan at medium high heat for 7-10 minutes.
- After an hour the batter will change in consistency and become drier. Add about 1/4 cup of water to bring it back to the right consistency.
- Drop spoonfuls of batter into the oil and deep fry till golden brown. You might need to bring the heat down a bit every so often and then take it back up to prevent them from charring.
- Store in an air tight container at room temperature Will keep for 4-5 days.