Phirni or 'Phirun' is an Indian rice pudding made by cooking ground rice and milk till its creamy. This refreshing yet decadent sweet dish is usually flavored with saffron and green cardamom, but this mango variation is heavenly. Use fresh mangoes when in season. I have used canned mango puree. Make sure to add extra sugar when using fresh mangoes.
2 cups milk
1/2 cup mango puree
2 1/2 T rice soaked and coarsely ground
1/4 cup sugar or as per taste
3-5 green cardamoms powdered
Pistachios and almond flakes for garnish
- Heat milk in a heavy bottomed pan. When it is hot, not boiling, add the ground rice mixture and stir. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer and continue cooking while stirring till the milk thickens up. This happens fairly quickly since the rice is not whole and gets cooked pretty fast.
- When it reaches the desired consistency add sugar and mix well. Then add the mango pulp. Mix and cook for another minute.
- Remove from heat, add the cardamom and let it cool.
- Garnish with almonds and pistachios.