Gajar ka Halwa, gajrela or carrot pudding is a must make in every North Indian household during the cold winter months when juicy red carrots are at their best. This favorite Indian dessert is made of grated carrots cooked in a large quantity of milk till they soften and cook through and milk thickens up. Served with loads of chopped nuts it warms the body and soul.
Gajrela can be made in several different ways - pressure cooked, using condensed milk, using khoya, etc. This recipe however is the traditional method using milk.
Ingredients: serves 6-8
8 medium carrots
6 cups full fat whole milk
2-3 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
1/3-1/2 cups sugar as per taste
4-5 green cardamoms pods crushed
Pistachios, cashews and almonds for garnish
- Peel and grate carrots. In a heavy bottomed pan heat 3 tbsp ghee and add the grated carrots. Saute on medium high for 8-10 minutes till carrot softens and changes color.
- Add milk and bring to boil. Reduce heat to prevent the milk from boiling over and cook stirring frequently till milk thickens and and carrots are completely cooked. This process takes about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Add sugar and stir well. Addition of sugar makes the mixture watery as the sugar melts. Continue cooking till all moisture is absorbed and you see ghee at the sides of the pan.
- Remove from heat and add crushed cardamom and some nuts.
- Serve hot sprinkled with the rest of the pistachios and almonds.