This salad recipe makes for an excellent lunch for school and work. Can be eaten cold, warm or at room temperature.
1 1/4 cup couscous
1 1/2 cups water
1 can chickpeas drained
1 English cucumber
1 medium red onion
1 large red pepper
handful chopped walnuts
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp mustard (old fashioned grainy)
2 tbsp orange marmalade
3-4 tbsp lime juice
Salt to taste (optional)
- Bring 1 1/2 cups of water with 1/4 tsp salt to boil. Add couscous, let boil again, cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes till cooked through and all liquid is absorbed.
- While couscous is boiling prep the veggies. Chop the cucumber, onion and red pepper. Grate the carrots.
- Mix all the veggies, chickpeas and cooked couscous in a large bowl.
- Whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing. Taste to adjust the sweetness, saltiness and tartness. Add the dressing to the salad.
- Toss gently to incorporate the dressing evenly. Keep for a minimum of two hours before serving to let the flavors blend.