HAPPY PIE DAY EVERYONE
|Apple pecan pie in phyllo pastry|
2 large apples(cored, peeled, chopped)
1/4 cup each pecans, walnuts, cranberries
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 star anise
1/2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp cinnamon powder
2 tbsp Maple syrup (or honey)
8 sheets phyllo pastry
1/2 stick butter
some extra pecans to sprinkle on top
- In a saucepan bring the first six ingredients to boil and simmer uncovered for 8-10 minutes till the cranberries plump up, mixture thickens up and apples cook a bit. Keep aside to cool.
- Melt butter in a dish and grease a pie plate. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Start by taking one pastry sheet on your working surface and brush with butter. Put another sheet on top and brush again with butter. Repeat with two more sheets.
- Spread half the apple mixture in the long edge in a line and start rolling slowly to form a log. Tuck the two ends to keep filling from coming out. Roll slowly and carefully put in the pie plate along the edges. Don't worry about the breakage, you can fix it by adding additional pastry sheet pieces.
- Repeat above process with the rest of the sheets and apple filling.
- Brush the top with butter and bake at 350 F for 30-35 minutes till the top is golden.
- Remove from heat and pour the maples syrup on top of the hot pie. Sprinkle with nuts (which I forgot to do). Let cool before slicing and enjoying the pie.