|Vegan Boondi kadhi|
I have used thick coconut milk instead of yogurt and sourness comes from a combination of lime and tamarind juices. Use these as per your sour taste quotient. Also instead of making pakode I added boondi. This helps reduce the cooking time while not compromising on the taste. You can omit boondi and add pakode instead, just make sure to boil them in the kadhi for some time to get the soft melt in your mouth flavour.
I created this recipe for a friend of mine who commented on my Punjabi Kadhi post -
"OMG, I love Kadhi. It was one of my favorites dishes. I miss it so much! This, and sarson ka saag and makki di roti. I wonder if they can be "veganized". Ahhh... memories of yore. Those Sunday afternoons, sitting in the veranda bathed in the winter sun, piping hot chai, and endless array of savory delicacies..... glorious bygone days....."
I HAD to create a vegan version after reading this. So this one is for you Deepak Ghosh.
Ingredients: (serves 4)
400 ml thick coconut milk
6 tbsp besan
4-5 cups water (depending on the desired thickness)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp panchporan (blend of mustard seeds, cumin seeds, onion seeds, methi seeds, fennel seeds)
2 tsp ginger grated
2-3 green chilies chopped (optional)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp red chili powder (optional)
Salt to taste
2 tbsp lime juice
1-2 tbsp tamarind juice
1 cup boondi (store bought)
Handful fresh coriander leaves finely chopped.
For tadka or tempering
1 tbsp olive oil
4-5 cloves garlic grated
1/2 tsp red chillie flakes
- In a bowl mix together coconut milk and besan till smooth and free of lumps,in this add water coriander powder,ginger paste, green chilies, turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt. Mix well and keep aside.
- In a large pan heat oil and add the panchporan. Let them crackle for a few seconds.
- Add the coconut milk and besan mixture and bring to a boil. Stir a few times to avoid any burning.
- When it starts to boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer covered for 10 minutes.
- Now add the lime juice and tamarind juice. Start by adding 1 tbsp each, taste and add more if required.
- For tempering heat oil and add the grated garlic. Cook for a few seconds till they start to turn light brown. At this point add the red chili flakes and remove from heat.
- Just before serving bring the kadhi to boil, add the boondi and stir. Remove from heat and temper with the garlic chili tempering. Stir in some fresh coriander and serve with steamed rice and a green leafy vegetable. Finger licking good.