Rhubarb is a herbaceous fruit with red crisp celery like stalks that have a tart flavor. This spring produce is delicious paired with sweet fruits such as raspberries, strawberries or peaches to counteract its tartness. Here is a simple way to use Rhubarb. It is sure to satisfy every sweet tooth.
Ingredients (6 ramekins)
For the fruit bottom
2 cups rhubarb, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 cup sugar
Zest and juice of 1/2 orange
1/2 pint (8 oz) fresh raspberries
For the crispy topping
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar (for more sweet can use 3/4 cup)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup hazelnuts or almonds, skinned, toasted, and chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine rhubarb, sugar, orange zest and juice in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- In another bowl mix all ingredients for the crumble topping together and cut in butter until the mixture resembles soft bread crumbs. Use your hands, they work the best here.
- Divide the rhubarb mixture evenly among the ramekins. Scatter raspberries evenly over the surface and then spoon in the crumb topping to cover the fruit completely.
- Bake in the center rack for 35-40 minutes till topping is brown and crisp and juices are bubbling.
- Cool slightly before serving.
- Serve hot as is or with whipped cream or your favorite ice cream.
- Can be served cold.