Keeping up with the theme of the vindaloo spice paste, here is a lip smacking vegan and vegetarian version. You can also follow this recipe to make paneer vindaloo. Pairs well with both white steamed rice and roti.
Ingredients: (serves 4)
900 gm extra firm tofu
2 tbsp oil to fry tofu
3-4 tbsp Vindaloo paste (Recipe)
2 tbsp oil
2 small red onions
4 cloves garlic
Thumb size piece ginger
Salt to taste
Fresh coriander to garnish
- Press the tofu between a clean dish towel to remove any water. Cut tofu into small bite sized cubes. Heat oil in a flat non stick pan on medium heat and pan sear the tofu cubes till lightly golden on all sides. keep aside.
- Prep other ingredients. Chop the red onions fine, grate or crush the ginger and garlic, puree the tomatoes.
- Heat oil in a large pan and add the onions. Fry stirring often till they start to turn golden.
- Now add the crushed ginger and garlic and cook till the raw smell of garlic goes away. Add the crushed tomatoes.
- Cook till the tomatoes are fried well and the mixture starts to leave oil at the sides.
- Add the vindaloo paste and mix well. You can add some salt at this point.
- Add the fried tofu cubes and mix gently to incorporate the flavors into them. Stir for a minute or two.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and mix. Bring to boil and simmer covered for 3-4 minutes till the everything blends.
- Assess the quantity of water in the dish and adjust it as per your desired consistency. Boil off if too liquid, add some more if too dry.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle fresh coriander. Serve hot with white steamed rice for a deliciously satisfying meal.