|Aloo baigan in Vindaloo masala|
Keeping up with the theme of the vindaloo spice paste, here is a another lip smacking vegan and vegetarian version. Use this recipe with any vegetable you want. I chose eggplant for their meaty texture.
Ingredients: (serves 4)
7-8 small Indian eggplants
2-3 tbsp Vindaloo paste (Recipe)
2 tbsp oil
1 small red onions
4 cloves garlic
Thumb size piece ginger
Salt to taste
Fresh coriander to garnish
- Quarter the eggplants and peel and slice potatoes in the same shape as the eggplants.
- Prep other ingredients. Chop the red onions fine, grate or crush the ginger and garlic, puree the tomatoes.
- Heat oil in a large pan and add the onions. Fry stirring often till they start to turn golden.
- Now add the crushed ginger and garlic and cook till the raw smell of garlic goes away. Add the crushed tomatoes.
- Cook till the tomatoes are fried well and the mixture starts to leave oil at the sides.
- Add the vindaloo paste and mix well. You can add some salt to taste.
- Add the cubed eggplants and potatoes and mix gently to incorporate the flavors into them. Stir for a minute or two.
- Add 1/2-3/4 cup of water and mix. Bring to boil and simmer covered for 5-10 minutes till the potatoes and eggplant is tender and cooked through.
- Assess the quantity of water in the dish and adjust it as per your desired consistency. Boil off if too liquid, add some more if too dry. I make it fairly dry as I like to pair this dish with roti. If you want to serve rice with it then add more liquid.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle fresh coriander. Serve hot with roti for a deliciously satisfying meal.