Crisp crunchy exterior with soft fluffy insides, flavored with spice mixture of your liking and a little char from the grill. These perfectly seasoned grilled potato fries/wedges are one of my favorite sides to serve with any BBQ dish. They are quick and delish and pair wonderfully with most meats coming off the grill.
Cooking potato wedges can be done in one of two ways:
-- Scrub the skin clean and cut the potatoes into eight wedges. Brush with olive oil, season generously and cook directly over the fire till crisp and golden.
-- Or par cook the potatoes (either boil or microwave) till three quarters done, season and brush with oil, then grill till crisp and golden. Partially cooking the potatoes prior to grilling may seem like extra work but it cuts down the grilling time considerably. The potatoes are almost cooked and only need to be seared on direct heat to create the crisp golden brown crust. Grilled this way they taste almost like french fries, only a lot less calorie dense. I like to do the initial cooking in the microwave as there is less chance of over cooking the potatoes. Make sure to drain them well before coating them in oil and herbs and seasoning. Don't be too stingy with the fat as it helps keep moisture inside the potatoes and prevents the flesh from sticking to the grill. I always keep the skin on, but that is a personal choice and peeling them is always an option. In the recipe below are the herbs and spices I like to use. I have not specified the quantity of each ingredient as it can vary based on personal choice. You can make a spice mix of your liking and flavor the potatoes with that. Just oil, salt and pepper are enough to make them taste great.
Cooked either way these awesome wedges come out lip smacking good.
4 large russet potatoes
Olive oil for brushing
Salt to taste
Freshly cracked black pepper
Garlic powder (omit this if making for Vrat)
Roasted cumin powder
- Scrub the potatoes using a brush to remove any dirt from the skin. Cut each potato into 8-10 wedges.
- Method 1- Brush them with oil and season with all the herbs and spices. Place them over the hot grill till brown and crisp on all sides. This might take 2-3 minutes per side. Then move them away to the cool part of the grill so that they can cook all the way through on the inside. Cover and cook till done, about 10-15 minutes. Serve hot.
- Method 2- Place the wedges in a microwave safe flat container in a single layer, filled with a quarter inch of water. Microwave on high till they are tender but not fully cooked. This might take about 7-10 minutes depending on the power of your microwave. Drain well. Toss in oil and spice mixture. Place the potatoes on medium hot grill and cook till crisp and golden. Serve hot.
- If its too cold to cook outside, use your oven. Preheat oven to 375°F. Drizzle wedges with olive oil and season with all the herbs and spices. Place them on a prepared baking sheet in a single layer with skin-sides-down. Bake for 25-35 minutes until potatoes are fork-tender on the inside and golden on the inside.
- Enjoy all this goodness alongside a burger, a nice steak, BBQ chicken or just as is.
- As a flavor variation use a different spice herb blend. Here are a few examples. Garlic powder, Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese. Black pepper, oregano and lemon juice. Lime juice, thyme and cayenne pepper.