Sweet potato is not just a plain old potato with extra flavor. It is one of nature's abundant sources of beta carotene having a superior ability to raise our vitamin A levels. With anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, one large steamed sweet potato is less than 100 calories, very versatile and delicious in all shapes and forms- wedges to discs to cubes.
These grilled wedges make for an excellent side dish alongside grilled salmon or chicken. Sweet and soft on the inside, charred and crunchy on the outside – what’s not to love here? And I love that all components for dinner can be cooked outside and there is practically no clean-up to do in the kitchen.
Cooking these cannot be more simple. Peel and cut into thin wedges. Coat with olive oil, salt, pepper and dry mint and place on the hot grill. When cooked, sprinkle with lime juice to balance the sweetness with some acidity and paprika if desired. Finger-licking good. We love the combination of mint and lime juice, but you can give this recipe a try using any spice-herb combination you like. Use parsley instead of mint, thyme will be awesome too, and if you would like to enhance the sweetness then ditch the lime and sprinkle some cinnamon for an added hint of sweetness.
4 sweet potatoes
2-3 tbsp olive oil
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp dry mint (palm crushed)
Fresh lime to serve
Paprika to serve (optional)
- Peel the potatoes and slice them into thin wedges. Coat generously with olive oil.
- Heat the grill to medium high.
- Just before putting them on the grill, season liberally with salt and pepper and mint.
- Place them directly over the direct heat and grill till well- marked, about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Now move them to a cooler part of the grill to finish cooking the potatoes through by indirect heat. Cook covered, turning mid-way till soft and tender from the inside. this can take 15-20 minutes (or more) based on the thickness of the wedges.
- Remove from grill, sprinkle with lime juice and paprika and serve hot.
- If its too cold to cook outside, use your oven. Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake till tender on the inside and crisp golden on the outside, about 30 minutes.